“Patience is the key to paradise” – Turkish Proverb.
I love this little Turkish proverb, because it reminds us that we can’t have everything instantly, no matter how hard we work. So, since I’m no expert on patience, today’s Motivational Monday is a bit of a mini-post. As you’ll see at the end of post, I’m more than happy to take suggestions on this lovely topic!
Why Is Patience So Difficult?
So, I’d say being patient is one of the skills I need to work on most. It’s so easy to push forward and power through with every last bit of effort you can find, and push to get the results you want. You simply decide what you want and focus on it. Then, you work harder than you’ve ever worked before, and soon, your dreams can come true.
Actually having the patience to wait for that to happen? Well, that’s the hard part, I’d say!
5 Steps I Use to Try To Have Patience
1. Visualize, visualize, visualize! Well, if you’ve been reading this blog for any length of time, you know that I’m all about visualizing the future and working to reach your goals. (You can check out my post on visualizing here, if you missed it).
2. Breathe – So, as much as I always complain I’m terrible at this one, too, I’m getting better! Sometimes you need to take a step back from your giant project – I have three major projects/goals on at the moment. Then, take a few deep breaths, remember your goal and visualize yourself in the future, with the goal accomplished. Next, step back into your project, and keep going. Patience!
3. Remember not to continuously compare yourself to others – So, my personal trainer (the newer one, who trains bodybuilders and models) reminds me of this often, as shaping my body is the biggest struggle of my life. Even though it wasn’t nearly this difficult five years ago, and I’m training more than I ever have before, my progress is snail-paced. Since I have perfect bill of health, we’re having trouble finding the problem. So, if you’re one of those people who constantly compares yourself to someone who has reached your goal, works really hard, and can’t figure out why you haven’t reached your goal, I understand you! Patience is not an easy feat!
4. Step out of your comfort zone – Now, this is one I absolutely love! I love to try new activities, set new goals and reach new challenges every year. (If you haven’t read my goal setting posts or don’t yet have my template, sign up for the free printables library and start goal setting today!). When you step out of your comfort zone, you often test your patience, so this is a great way to start tackling the challenge of becoming a more patient person.
5. Make Yourself Wait – So, this last one, I’ll admit, I’ve never tried. It’s a suggestion from this Huffington Post article that I’m definitely going to check out this week. Well, what is it? Simply make yourself wait for something small. Want that chocolate cake? First, wait 10 minutes. Feel like watching tv? Don’t allow yourself for another half hour. Actually, it’s a way to force patience into your personal schedule for tiny tasks.
Apparently, these small acts make being a patient person in the long run an easier task. What do you think about this strategy?
What tips do you have for gaining more patience in your life? As this is one of my personal struggles, I’d love to hear from you in the comments below 🙂
Have a lovely and productive Monday!
P.S. Photography fans, the photo in today’s post (and poster!) is one I took a month ago while I was sailing from Barcelona to Mallorca, Spain.
Grab Your Free Motivational Posters!